"You be illin' "
It was not a life-changing installment but it was fairly entertaining, with "infections" as the thread of the episode. First, some of our doctors got infected with the flu, starting with Arizona. I really loved the beginning of the episode showing how this gets spread through elevator buttons, doors, tablets etc.
But did you notice that all patients were also suffering from infections and that their cases had their share of irony ? The Bubble Boy (SCID Syndrome) who can't stand isolation when he couldn't previously stand being touched by his mom, the tetanus patient who sees meds as poison but is "fine" to "live" with a nasty infection, etc.
Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yeah
Dr "Butthole" has arrived ! Dr Oliver Lebackes made his debut as a peds specialist who also has a private practice. Patrick Fabian was originally announced as a recurrent guest star this season, so... will wee see him again ? I must say I like this character, he's talented and funny. That was impossible not to love the dancing scene in the OR btw ! :)
But let's be serious for a minute. Lebackes confessed that he was planning to extend his practice and made an interesting offer to Alex : to become his new partner. Whaaaat ?
This offer definitely got to Alex's head as he started to suddenly get nosy and asked Arizona how much money she made as an attending (hilarious scene I must say).
Will Alex seriously consider this offer ? Perhaps.
Let's not forget that Karev felt most of his life like an underdog and always had the ambition to become someone. He worked hard when he was an intern and resident and even got a fellowship at Hopkins before the plane crash. As the opening scene of the episode showed it, he originally stayed around only because he felt guilty about Arizona's amputation and was waiting for her to get better.
The money he would get from the private practice would allow him to pay off his students loan (and give a chance to Jo to relax ! lol) which would be the easy fix he was looking for. In case Justin Chambers' contract is not renewed, this would also be the perfect excuse to send Karev away.
But let's not be dramatic, I don't think that we are going to lose Alex. He is one of the originals, his romance with Jo is loveable, he makes a wonderful team with Arizona Robbins, and even Shonda Rhimes said that he was not going anywhere. Although Shonda is probably the last person on earth that I would trust. lol.
The ortho glow
Our ortho Goddess has a new padawan, I mean, apprentice !
This is such a good fit, I LOVED it ! How come we didn't see Callie and Jo working together before ? (instead of stupid Leah !) Jo definitely has the perfect personality to become the new Torres, as they share rage and strength. Get off peds, Wilson !
I really hope we see more of the ortho girls ! Maybe we will, considering how excited Callie was about it ? By the way, I loved the scene in which Callie talks to a sick Arizona through the bathroom door !
"I don't get sick !"
Derek was getting ready for his conference on the presidential mapping project, in front of about 50 scientists from all over the world.... and repeated his speech in front of his son (SUPER CUTE !!!)
But this was not an easy day for Dr Shepherd as he was not feeling well despite his many MANY "I don't get sick" protests. Moreover, he even had to operate with Dr Bailey and Dr Kepner on the Bubble boy. I loved Bailey's line "You don't look ridiculous at all" as his face was fully covered to avoid infecting the boy even more.
Even if he tried to push through, Derek eventually really got sick and passed out. It was quite predictable that Mer would take over and do a great job. But I liked it, because the past few episodes kept focusing on Derek's greatness as if he was the only one capable, and Mer proved this week that she is able to handle it too.
- We got more patients in this episode, like in the old days ! :-)
- Some patients will come back next week : Bredan as well as the whole family with the 2 sick sisters. Indeed, their little brother is likely to become ill too as he will appear in 3 more episodes. As the cause of these heart failures is not genetic or viral, this promises to offer some suspense !
- Cristina's line "This trial is my baby, Shane. Don't let my baby die" was powerful, especially after last week's episode, and a good introduction to next week's episode.
- Arizona, Derek, Jackson, Richard and Leah got sick.
- Lebackes' nicknames were hilarious : D. Poop Chute, Dr Rear Gear, the Sphincter Fairy, etc. Btw, Patrick Fabian guest starred in Friends 15 years ago, I had to say it !
- "Back off Scrooge McDuck, I'll be fine".
- "There are two kinds of man sick. When I get home tonight, Dr Ben Warren will call out "Miranda" from his fetal position on the couch, beg me for saltines and a wet wash cloth for his head". HILARIOUS. (I personally only know that kind. lol)
- "I don't want his first word to be hypothalamus"
- Webber referring to Leah as a "little wuss" lol. Even though I must admit she was brave in this episode.
- "You're dating Alex Karev, you'll always have a reason being angry"
- Arizona's superpower enables her to know when she's going to get sick !
What did you think ?
- What were your favorite scenes ?
- What did you think about Dr Lebackes ?
- Will Alex leave Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital ? Will he discuss his hesitation with Jo and Arizona ?
- Poll : does Jo belong to Peds or Ortho ?
- Sandra Oh will get her last table read (10x24) next week :(