"I Must Have Lost It On The Wind"
I spent the whole summer without thinking about Grey's Anatomy - on purpose. Probably because I'm having some kind of an identity crisis as a Grey's Anatomy fan. Since last season, I'm having difficulties to recognize the show I got addicted to. I found the first half of Season 10 really horrible and I believe that the second half was better only because it had Cristina's exit as the major storyline.
I didn't want to continue this blog. Because I don't believe in Season 11 at this stage, and because it's time consuming. But I got nice encouraging messages during the hiatus from some of you and I thought that I owed you at least this first review. As I mentioned before, it will be in any case a new formula : my reviews will be shorter (not sure I did this here though lol) and it will be just reviews. No more spoilers, sorry. I won't post polls every week either.
Mer and the hidden sister
The episode opened on a flashback scene, featuring Mer and the legendary carousel. We've seen it in previous seasons when the show addressed Mer's torteous relationship with Ellis. But this time, it revealed another side of the story. And as I've always loved Ellis' shadow around Meredith, this may be the only arc I'm excited about. I've actually read somewhere that the hidden sister was a storyline that Shonda had had in mind for a very long time, even when we discovered the carousel scene for the first time, years ago.
Back then, all we knew was that while Meredith was on the carousel, Richard was breaking up with Ellis, telling her that he would not leave Adele for her. Mer confessed to her shrink that Ellis was in so much pain that she sliced her wrists in front of her daughter. Ellis was saved by little Mer who called 911, only after her mom passed out.
In this episode, we've seen the carousel again and Ellis crying in despair over Richard. It also showed that Mer was later waiting at the window - obviously for an ambulance (that she had apparently called herself as a nurse told her that "she had saved her mother's life"). At the hospital, while Mer was waiting (carrying her Anatomy Jane doll ! I love when the flashbacks are meticulously handled!), Ellis was very agitated, there was blood on the floor and eventually we could hear a baby crying.
Ellis didn't want to see the baby. She packed her things and took Meredith with her... to Boston I assume. Because 1- it was mentioned several times that Ellis took Mer to Boston when she was a child and 2 - Mer found Anatomy Jane only in season 5 in the Seattle house, so I assume that when she left it behind, they were definitely moving far away.
Now I wonder a few things : was Ellis already pregnant during the Carousel scene? Because I don't think that Richard ever knew that she was carrying a baby so i guess it didn't show yet then. Why didn't she get an abortion, as Mer was already getting in the way of her career ?
Did the sliced wrist event happen on the same day as the birth of Maggie ? Did it perhaps cause the labour or it's not related at all ? How come Meredith, even though she was very young, didn't notice that her mom was pregnant ?
Based on this flashback, it seems that Maggie was born in Seattle. How did Ellis hide this from Richard? How come Maggie eventually grew up in Boston, at the same time as Meredith ?
I guess we'll discover more soon.
In any case, it seems that we'll get a sister fued on the show, considering that Maggie and Mer already hate each other.
Mer has no idea who Pierce really is while Maggie exactly knows who she's dealing with. I must say that I don't care about Maggie at this stage. I find her annoying and this whole story is deja vu: it was the same with Lexie. Mer didn't know about her either, didn't care and didn't even like her at first.
I'm more curious about the relationship between Richard and Maggie, finally a real storyline for Webber !
"Yang left me you too, it's just us now".
I said it last year : if Meredith must have a new person, this better be Alex Karev. I'm happy it is, because this was the only move that made sense. Following the tradition, Mer pulled her heart out, in bed with her "person". Except that this time it was Alex Karev, and not Cristina.
I liked the fact that Alex was not reacting like Cristina used to, because Alex doesn't have the same personality as Cristina.
The friendship between Alex and Mer (how do we call it ? Merex ? Almer ? lol) is the only thing that saved the episode for me. And yet, I still felt Cristina's absence :(
- I'm worried about Owen's future because his character always evolved around Cristina. It will be a challenge for the writers to maintain the character's depth without her. What will they do ? Find a new love interest ? Career wise, it seems difficult to find something, he's already the Chief.
- Even though I'm a huge Calzona fan, I was disappointed in their scenes. Sure they were cute together but I've thought that their scenes were a bit boring and not very positive : they seem to have a real bad timing and had opposite opinions on every single subject. I just hope I won't have to sit through Calzona's neverending issues for the 3rd season in a row. At least, I'm really excited about Geena Davis guest starring and Arizona's potential fetal surgery fellowship.
- Derek resigned from the presidential mapping project and is not moving to DC. I found this resolution way too quick to be realistic on a show like Grey's Anatomy. I expect more problems for the Mc Dreamy's pretty soon. Oh and btw, do we have 2 heads of neuro now then ?
- May the best surgeon win... there will be a tough battle between Alex and Bailey. I vote for Alex. Cristina picked him and that's the only way to keep him working for Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. (Btw what happened to Butthole's office ? Did Alex quit ?) And I vote for Bailey to be the next Chief of surgery, I've always wanted that.
- I am pretty sure that I have recognized Sandra Oh's voice when I heard "previously on Grey's Anatomy". Am I right ? I loved it !
- Not sure who was playing Ellis in this episode, as we barely could see her face. But she did sound very much like the great Kate Burton. Was it really her? I sure hope we'll get to see her again this season!
- It just hit me that there are only two residents left! Actually, three with Ben. I'm still waiting for Steph to have a purpose on the show, she's useless so far.
- Cristina's share/seat papers were addressed to "Evil Spawn", love it !
- "I don't want my daughter to have my father for a mother".
What did you think ?
- Was it a good season premiere ?
- What were your favorite storylines ?
- What do you think about Maggie ?
- Do you miss Dr Yang ?